The Law Offices of Ronald P. Slates, P.C.
Call Our team Schedule A Consultation 866-904-6965

You've Got the Judgment - Now What?

You've gone to court and secured a judgment against the debtor. Now what? Now you must enforce the judgment. Debtors don't necessarily pay just because a judgment is issued against them. An aggressive commercial collections lawyer can help you with enforcement of judgment even if the debtor leaves the state. Consider the following and then talk with an attorney to determine which option is best for you.

Writ of Execution and Levies

After a judgment you may be allowed to levy the property of the debtor with a writ of execution. When you levy something, the sheriff or another official will take possession of the property on your behalf to sell it so that the judgment may be satisfied. Even accounts payable for a business may be levied to pay off a judgment.

Seizure and Sale of Real Estate

Depending on the nature of the debt owed to you, you may be able to make a motion to sell, ask us how to help.

Setting Up a Receivership

You may be able to be ask the court to appoint a receiver of real property, business, rent, or profits if you're granted a judgment against the debtor. This puts you in control of receiving money that's owed to you directly from the business. However, it's important to note that receiverships are only used if a business is practically insolvent or being operated unlawfully or poorly so that its profits 'mysteriously' vanish.

Learn More about Enforcement of Judgments

If you'd like to learn more about enforcement of judgments, contact experienced collections attorney Ronald P. Slates today. Having a plan and understanding your rights as a creditor is important.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Assist You? Schedule A Consultation today.

Contact our commercial collections lawyers at our firm to discuss your and your clients' business, commercial collections and enforcement of judgements' issues. The skilled and experienced team of attorneys at our downtown Los Angeles law offices offers hourly and blended fees (discounted hourly plus partial contingent fee) to our clients.

Call us at 213-599-7004 today or fill out the form below to get started.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get Started
Map Marker

The Law Offices of Ronald P. Slates, P.C.
500 S. Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90071

Toll Free: 866-904-6965
Phone: 213-599-7004
Fax: 213-624-7536
Los Angeles Law Office Map